Monday, March 3, 2008

2 "proud parent" moments in 1 week!!

So our kindergartener Logan comes home from school each day with either a star for good behavior, or a checkmark (or two, or three) for not so good behavior. The other day he came home with a checkmark, and as we looked through his notebook, we found the reason why. The picture below explains it all. His teacher wrote the message in green:



We of course tried not laugh as we explained that "fart" is not an appropriate word to use, especially for school assignments. (Rolling my eyes). And as if this wasn't enough to make us proud, we got a phone call from the principal today, who said that Logan had something he needed to tell me. She handed him the phone and all I heard was sniffles. So the principal took the phone back and said he was too sad to tell me. She explained that Logan received a referral to her office, and the referral said that "Logan pulled down his pants and showed his butt to his classmates." As you can imagine, I was mortified!! I heard her stifle a giggle and the principal said "I'm trying not to laugh, but it's good that he's crying because he knows he made a mistake, and we're going to have him apologize to his teacher and classmates when he goes back to class." Of course I thanked her for calling and said we'd talk to him about it when he gets home from school. It was so embarrassing to get that phone call! Logan was so afraid to tell us about it when he got home, especially because we have talked to him about keeping his private parts private, particularly in public! But we made him explain what happened (and trust me, making him tell us about it was punishment enough!). After he told us, we asked him why he did it. He didn't have a reason, he just did it. If I had to guess though, I think he was trying to be funny to his classmates, the gomer! We pried for more info, and he said they were lined up in the hallway when he did it, and his teacher didn't see, but his classmates told on him (good for them!). I'm glad his teacher didn't see it, she doesn't need that image of him as a memory of Logan McBride throughout her teaching years. I'll say this much, if Logan is like this as a kindergartener, I can't wait to see what he'll be like as a teenager! (Again, rolling my eyes). Now you can see why I'm such a proud parent today....(sigh).

11 comments:

Kristi said...

Ok, I showed this post to Kiel too and we're both laughing. Oh Logan...that is too funny...

Jen said...

i loved it!! so glad it is you not me!! I don't think i could have managed to not laugh!

Diane said...

This was hilarious. Jeff and I laughed. We know we're gonna see something like that from at least one of our kids too. Oh well. You're raising such a fun boy. Enjoy it!

Erin said...

So I understand we shouldn't laugh, but I have tears in my eyes! I always loved your Logan. He always made me laugh and I'd see him in the halls at church and he'd run to me and say "hi!" or hug my leg. He'll bring you lots of laughs and surprises in the future!

Amanda said...

That is so funny. I worry all the time about my kids starting school and taking what is "normal" in our family out into public where it could be considered very inappropriate. Nathan is only 2 1/2 so we have a little while to teach him not to pee ANYWHERE he wants, and Miranda is allowed to watch movies that she quotes and I may be the only one that laughs when she quotes Chaz Michael Michael from Blades of Glory. oops

Sharlee said...

A proud moment for the McBrides indeed. Tee Hee!

Brooke said...

That was too funny. I loved the way he spelled farted...who knows if I spelled it right either. So where did he learn that crazy behavior from? It was so funny, I don't know what I would have done if the principal called me about teagen....how did you not laugh?

Caroline said...

So is this what you've been teaching him at home Nettie? Just kidding. Too funny!!

Trish said...

Hey Nettie and Bryce! I stumbled onto your blog from Sherrie's. We should all get together! Check out my blog, too!

Trish (and Shane and Nevan and Mayzie and Meeka...)

RUE-SLATS PARTY OF 8 said...

Nettie, I know how you feel, Dave has done embarassing things like that too. In kindergarten he grabbed a girls bum (back side) and said "shake hands with beef". he didnt mean anything by it, my sister does this to the babies. well, she used to until we saw it carry over from school. but it was still hard to explain to the teachers!! We miss you guys, how is arizona? warm i bet, alaska is cold but the kids are having a great time. ~audrey

Nettie said...

AUDREY! Do you have a blog? What's your current email address? If you don't want to post it here, email it to me at nettuccini@hotmail.com. So great to hear from you, and funny story about David. We miss you guys too!